How to Set Up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) for your Microsoft 365 Account
To enhance our security and provide greater safety for our students, staff, and faculty, Bluefield University has recently set up Multi-Factor Authentication, or MFA, for all Microsoft accounts. MFA will add an additional layer of protection to complement account passwords and will work through your mobile phone whenever you login. This Knowledgebase article will offer step-by-step instructions on how to set up MFA, use it to log into a Bluefield University service, and resolve issues with your MFA.
1: Installing the Microsoft Authenticator App
- Open up your App Store on your mobile phone and search for "authenticator app Microsoft".
- Install "Microsoft Authenticator" and open it on your mobile phone.
2: Connecting your Microsoft Authenticator App to your Account
- Go to the Office login page, preferable on a different device other than your cell phone, and select "Sign In".
- Enter your email address and then select "Next".
- Enter your account password and then select "Next".
- On the "More information required" page, select "Next".
- This will bring you to a "Keep your account secure" page. Select "Next" until you come to a page asking you to scan a QR code.
- Return to your mobile phone and scan this QR code in your Authenticator app and then select "Next".
- A code will be displayed on the Office login page; enter this code in your Authenticator app, select "Yes", and then select "Next" on the login page.
- On the Office page, verify that your model of phone is listed underneath Microsoft Authenticator and select "Done".
3: How to Log into your Account Once Authenticator is Connected
- After logging into your account, a page will be displayed asking you to "Approve sign in request" and providing a number. A popup notification will be displayed on your mobile phone; enter this code and then select "Yes" to confirm login.
Multi-Factor Authentication is an important part of Bluefield University's cybersecurity measures, and we appreciate your assistance in making our campus a safer and more secure place. If your account is locked or you need further assistance, please submit a support request and one of our technicians will assist you.